Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Project #2: Apron

I don't need an apron. I do need to get some practice on a sewing machine.
Right now I piece and quilt by hand. I love buying yards of fabric, then washing and pressing it. Cutting it up into smaller pieces, rearranging them and sewing them back up whole again. Layering it all together, basting it all together, quilting it. Finishing with one of my favorite parts, the binding. Sewing that thin little strip all around the outside, folding it over the raw edges and stitching it in place. Nice perfect little corners.
I learned to sew while learning to piece quilts. Luckily for me, there are some nice books available with step by step instructions.
Problem is, doing it by hand is just so slow. I don't think I will ever machine quilt. I enjoy the process as much as the finished product. Maybe more. You can buy machines that pretty much quilt for you (I'm fairly certain they do- they are super expensive and gigantic). The result is really impressive, but for me there is no point in making a quilt, if *I* am not actually making it. Now I also said this about piecing the quilt top, but here I am, wanting to learn to use the machine. I might be willing to machine-piece, if I'm still going to hand quilt. It's just that I don't want to put in time time to learn. Templates have to be cut differently, seam allowances are different. Sewing through seams is different. But I have to try to say that I tried. And I do really hope to enjoy it. It would make my life easier.
So this little apron will be my practice piece for the machine. Not a lot of cutting. Just sewing on straight lines.

2 comments:

  1. An apron is on my list of things to make as I get used to my machine. I found some free patterns online that 'look' easy. We'll see. Maybe we can compare notes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should definitly work on little projects and learn together- maybe in person ?? ;)

    ReplyDelete